Ebb and Flow
In addition to the Player’s Handbook and Dungeon Master’s Guide, each player may pick two extra sourcebooks from the following list to use for their characters:
- Player’s Handbook II
- Monster Manual
- Complete Adventurer
- Complete Arcane
- Complete Divine
- Complete Warrior
- Complete Scoundrel
- Complete Mage
- Complete Champion
- Spell Compendium
- Unearthed Arcana SRD content will be considered on a case-by-case basis. (Flaws are not allowed.)
Any rules that the DM provides to a character from a different sourcebook from those selected during the course of play does not count against the two sourcebook limit.
Sourcebooks do not have to be selected immediately but must be declared to the DM before rules are taken from that material.
Only PHB races are allowed.Acceptable Racial subtypes (non-PHB requires the respective sourcebook to be taken, generally the Monster Manual):
- High Elf (standard PHB elf)
- Gray Elf
- Wild Elf
- Wood Elf
- Hill Dwarf (standard PHB dwarf)
- Mountain Dwarf
- Rock Gnome (standard PHB gnome)
- Forest Gnome
- Lightfoot Halfling (standard PHB halfling)
- Tallfellow Halfling
- Deep Halfling
- Half-Orcs are half orc and half human
- Half-Elves are half elf and half human
- No favored classes, no multi-classing penalties.
- Half-Elves get +2 Charisma in addition to their other bonuses.
- Humans get +1 racial bonus to all saves in addition to their other racial bonuses.
- Half-Orcs no longer have -2 Int penalty.
- Dwarfs, Gnomes, and Halflings have a base speed of 25ft.
- No evil. Period.
Not all characters are born—some are made.
All characters will start with their first level in an NPC class.
NPC class rules can be found in the right-most column here.
NPC class setting-specific background information and starting equipment:
When you take your next level, you are then free to level as normal.
It is highly recommended that you have an advancement at least two levels ahead in mind.
You must roll for stats in front of the GM.
- Roll 5d6 and drop the two lowest. Repeat 6 times.
- Assign the values to your stats.
- Apply race bonuses/penalties.
Please see the house rules for campaign-specific rulings.
Please see the house rules for created feats and campaign-specific rulings.
All feats in the Savage Tidings and Savage Tide Player’s Guide are available to characters fulfilling the prerequisites.
For those with a level of NPC, you may take your District Feat as a free feat if you are a resident of Sasserine. If your district offers multiple feat options, choose only one.
Starting equipment for 1st-level NPC-class characters is listed on the respective NPC class page. Some modifications can be made if they are thematic and equivalent in gold value with DM approval.
New characters starting at a level higher than first may equipment themselves with gear equal to the value listed on page 135 of the DMG for their level. No single item may be worth more than half of the value. For example, a 7th level character would have 19000g worth of gear and cannot have a single piece of gear worth more than 9500g.Those with the extra NPC class level are not to count this towards their level for the purpose of starting gold.
Those who have item crafting feats and wish to use them to help stretch their gold need to speak with me before finalizing equipment.
Required character history items
- Backstory regarding nobility, guild relationships, etc. that are part of a characer’s history
- Character’s current profession
- Character’s dream of greatness
Optional character history items:
- Choose an Affiliation.
So You Died…
Until the end of “Bullywug Gambit”, new characters start with a level of NPC in addition to their normal class levels.